Post Treatment Care
These are temporary mild side effects (healing crisis) which may occur following a massage treatment. Where massage encourages the movement of fluids throughout the body, aiding each system to perform more efficiently, the influx of toxins into the bloodstream can expressed in numerous ways. This is an opportunity for the body to release built up toxins and emotions.
- Muscle soreness
- Increased urination/defecation Thirst
- Heightened emotional state Cold-like symptoms
- Spots – Fluid intake (Water and Herbal Teas) will dilute and accelerate the expulsion of toxins.
Contra-actions are usually short lived and normally dissipate within 24 hours and typical after-effects may include:
- Excessive tiredness or lethargy
- Toxins released initiate healing energies requiring the body to rest
- Altered sleep patterns – Slow, deep tissue work has a soporific effect. If you feel sleepy after a treatment, ensure you inform me immediately. I will give you a drink and a few minutes before you leave the treatment area
- Muscular aches – The nerve fibres responding to deep tissue work, this normally fades after a few hours
- Urgent need to urinate
- Bowel movement becomes more active – This is part of the natural healing cycle where the body moves cellular waste into the bloodstream and elimination organs including the kidneys.
- Heightened emotional state/mood and temperament – Due to positive release of deep-held feelings and emotions. This is perfectly normal and you should allow your client to feel free to allow this release without embarrassment. It’s worth stating that the treatment and any subsequent actions are entirely confidential.
- Spots or darker pigmented patches may occur – This may be due to released toxins and hormones surfacing on the skin, especially if the client’s skin condition has been suppressed.
- Recurrence of old symptoms – When the body is in dysfunction it creates what is known as a compensatory pattern. In working with you today that pattern may have been released to begin the healing process.
These symptoms should only last between 24-48 hours, it would be unusual if they lasted longer.
After care advice
- To get the best possible results from your treatments, follow any nutrition/stretching/excerise advice given
- Drink plenty of water (6-8 glasses) to help flush out toxins just released from tissues. Avoid alcohol for at least 12 hours before and after treatment as this may result in dehydration Avoid stimulants such as tea, coffee, fizzy drinks, and other drugs. Substitute with herbal or fruit teas. (reduce caffeine intake before bed to enable a better night’s sleep).
- Avoid heavy or excessively spiced meals.
- Avoid smoking or cut down as this will defeat the purpose of a detoxifying massage treatment!
- Wherever possible, rest and relax after treatment to allow body to heal and settle.
- Avoid carrying heavy objects/baggage to allow muscles to ease off.